Ultimate Guide to United Airlines / UAL
Headquartered at Willis Tower, Chicago IL, United Airlines Inc. is the founding member of the Star Alliance, which is the world’s largest airline alliance composed of 28 member airlines. United Air’s major focus is the Asia Pacific, and as such is known to operate a vast network of domestic as well as international flights. To know more about United and the services it offers, keep reading this article.
United Airline Corona virus (COVID-19) updates
The airline ave some change in the travel plans due to COVID-19 (Corona Virus). This may effect your journey for two or three months as per present conditions. So you can make changes in you airline tickets by self. Just Visit ( https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html) to make changes or cancellations in your booked or reserved tickets. Still you may have some doubts for this. Let’s clear them…
United Airline: No Cancellation / Flight Change Fee due to Corona virus (COVID-19)
The airline has made it clear that there is no flight change or cancellation fee in this situation. This situation is faced by all over the world. This fee is zero if you book the tickets between 2nd March 2020 to 31st May 2020. Means Airline will not charge any fee if you are going to change your flights or cancel them due to COVID-19. The cancellation or flight change period will continue to the next 12 months.
United Airline Cargo Flights Update Due to COVID -19
Airline has decided to keep the supply chain maintained, the cargo flights will continue. Airline is using its network to provide the essential things such as medical facilities, equipment, medicines and more things for those areas which need the most.
United Airlines: Rescheduling the Trip Due to COVID-19
- The airline will reinstall 6 daily international flights in May 2020. But airline will follow the government rules too.
- Only planned trips in between the dates March 10 – May 31, 2020 can be rescheduled.
- For international flights, the airline is offering same services. But the customers should have to check the current status for that particular country and location.
- The online flight cancellation and change in flight can be done through the official site or official Application/ App.
United Airline (UA) History
In 1926, Varney Air Lines was founded and was soon incorporated with a number of other airlines to found United Airlines. They began operating flights and services in March 1931. Since then, United has become the 3rd largest airline airline in the world.
United Airlines Reservations / UAL Reservations
United Airlines flights may be booked either on their official site, by using a travel supplier such as Bargain Air Ticket, and/ or by purchasing a United Flight ticket at the airport itself. This is the best way to get your United Airline Reservations or UAL Reservations.
Number of United Hubs: 8
Largest Hub: Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
- Los Angeles
- Newark Liberty
- San Francisco
United Airline Awards
- Newsweek Green Rankings
- Green Hospitality Award- Gold-level certification
- Best-of-the-Best Award for Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion Across All Communities: National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) and National Business Inclusion Consortium (NBIC).
- Favorite Frequent-Flyer Program: Trazee Travel, United MileagePlus
- Airline of the Year- International Flight Services Association(IFSA)
- Global Traveler Leisure Lifestyle Awards-Special Achievement Awards-Best Innovations- Best Friendly Airline: Global Traveler
- Eco-Airline of the Year: Air Transport World
United Airline Fleet
Here is the fleet information regarding United Air’s fleet as per Dec 2019
The format is: Airplane Name – Number of Units in United Fleet
How to save more while booking United Airline Flights?
- Regularly check United Airline deals to save more while booking United Airline Flights.
- Subscribe to United Airlines to receive updates from them regarding tickets and content.
- Book as early as you can.
- Apply for United Airlines’ Mileage Plus.
- Subscribe to us for Fare Alerts to get the best deals on your route on flight tickets.
- Look for Promo Codes.
How do I book United Air flight tickets?
Here are some ways to book United Airline flight Tickets:
- Visit www.united.com and book United Air Flight tickets directly.
- You can deal with any United Airline representative who will book your flight. This can be done through the phone, city ticket offices or by buying a ticket at the airport. This will, however, incur a booking fee as per your method. Read further to know more.
- You can use Bargainairticket or any other travel supplier to compare and book the cheapest tickets you’ll get. Looking for flights online is a really good way to ensure that you are getting the best price as companies offer a lot of discounts to travelers given the level of competition that exists between them.
- You can also call us at +18442205116 and book tickets on the phone itself. This service will not cost you any extra money and it has only been extended by us so that your travel preparation is as convenient as possible. You can also get great phone only deals if you decide to avail this service.
Is there any booking fee with United Airlines?
There is absolutely no booking fee if one books United Air flights from BargainAirTicket or united.com. However, United Airlines specify their policy regarding booking through any United Airline representative which states that there is a $25 booking fee if you book United flights on phone. The fee is $30 if you use a City Ticket Office and it is $50 if you buy your ticket at the airport.
What are the amenities offered by United Airlines?
- Main Cabin (Economy Class).
- Premium Class.
- First Class.
- International Premium Cabin Dining.
- United Economy Dining.
- Special Meals and Beverage Selections.
- Preorder your inflight meal.
- In flight WiFi and power.
- Enjoy a United Private Screening.
- DirectTV and Magazines.
United only accepts credit and debit cards for in flight purchases.
United Air Military Discount
Airlines runs a special program called Veterans Advantage which is designed for U.S military veterans, active duty military, National Guard and Reserve members, and their families. You are eligible for United Air Military discount, if you have served in any branch of service, or during any period of service (both wartime and peacetime).
Here are the additional United Air Military discount details:
- Itineraries must originate in the U.S or Canada.
- United Air Military discount is only applicable for destinations in the U.S, Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe.
- Reservations are limited to eight travelers or less.
- Family members who are eligible for the discount include: spouse, mother, father, son or daughter of the veteran or service person.
- The discount is applicable on the purchased base fare and is not applicable to government-imposed taxes and fees or carrier-imposed international surcharges.
- Veteran Advantage members also receive their private login for online benefits access and account support.
United Airlines for Passengers with Special Needs
United Airline is dedicated to providing comfortable service to people with special needs. In case you need special assistance, we recommend you to contact the airlines prior to your travel.
United Airlines allows service animals, wheelchairs and on board medical oxygen. United will provide you assistance not only in the flight but also in the airport. The aircraft of United Air have been regulated according to safety norms and as such their on board service is capable enough to provide emergency medical attention if required.
However, please make sure that you inform the airline at least 48 hours prior to your flight regarding any special needs which may be but are not limited to:
- On board medical oxygen.
- Using respirators, ventilators, and CPAP machines.
- If assistance is needed in assembling wheelchair battery.
- Are travelling with a group of more than 10 people with disabilities.
- Emotional support animal.
How does United Air handle passengers in case of cancellations or delays?
United Airlines takes consideration of the fact that flight changes, delays and cancellations are a major inconvenience to passengers. Therefore, to make you travel better even in situations where the airline can’t do much, United Air has put in place www.united.com/checkin where you can easily put in your travel information and choose an alternative flight for yourself.
Downloading and keeping up to date with the United app (available on playstore) is another way to optimize your travel with United Air on the go.
United Airlines also has a number of check in areas at the airport where there are Kiosks which may be used to navigate flight schedules, changes etc. on the go. Alternatively, you can also find Customer Service centres at major airports for United Airlines.
The airline will help you find alternative flights as soon as possible. In case of a cancellation or delay, United Airlines will look for an alternative flight on its own and you need only use any of the ways described above to check it.
You can also rebook your flight with United Airlines. You can even join the standby lists of flights that currently have no seats, but might have a spot for you on them later. Also, United Air will not cancel your rebooking if you join any stand by list.
Is there any discounted rate for travelling with a group?
United Airlines offer a fare guarantee if there are more than 10 people travelling in a group. They will also provide special pricing to your group along with special services.
While this is not available at all airports, you can avail the services of a group coordinator for assistance for your group at the airport.
United Airlines Credit Card
There are at least three United credit cards available for you. Using United Airline credit cards for purchases results in rewards for you such as flyer miles and points. These points can then be redeemed for any service that might be available for use. The best card that we recommend is the United Explorer Card. This card offers the most rewards and services and is aptly prices. Other cars that are available are the United Travel Bank Card and United Club Card.This article contains details regarding the United Explorer Card.
United Explorer Card:
- Get 40000 bonus miles on spending $2000 within 90 days of opening your account.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 on United purchases
- Get 2 miles per $1 at restaurants and hotels booked directly
- Earn 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases.
- Get 2 United Club passes. (One after opening account and the other on each anniversary).
- Free first checked bag.
- You are eligible for Priority boarding.
- Get upto 25% returns on in flight purchases.
- No black out dates
- No foreign transaction fees.
Fees and Interest Rates
|Cash Advance APR||Standard APR||Annual Fee||Balance Transfer Fee|
|26.49%||17.99-24.99% (Variable)||$95 ($0 for I year)||5% of transaction (min $5)|
Each billing cycle for this card is of 21 days. If you are able to pay your due before this time period then United Airlines Explorer Card interest will not be applicable.
United Airlines Customer Services
United Airlines offers a variety of United Airlines customer services in many areas such as flight reservations, their products, refunds, cargo and animal information, and will even help you regarding any damaged or lost items. Visit United Airlines’ Help desk for more information.
Customer Care (Reservations) : 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331)
Flight Status Information: 1-800-824-6200
United Airlines Social Media
United Airlines Check In and Boarding Pass
Follow this link here to open up the United Airline online Check In facility offered by United Airlines. Be sure to get your boarding pass printed beforehand so that your check in and boarding at the airport is as convenient as it can be.
United Airlines Flight Status
A tip: Always be aware of your United Airline flight status as flight times are subject to change. Check in early and keep all your documents with you. To check your flight status when flying with United Airlines, follow this link.
If you are a Mileage+ member then you also have the option of subscribing for flight information, status, and more.
United Air puts up a timetable for you to be updated regarding all the currently scheduled flights.
United Air Promo Codes
How can I find promo codes for my flights?
You can check out United Airline Promo Code from the websites such as couponfollow.com, retailmenot.com, dontpayfull.com, www.kouponkabla.com, and many more. They can be easily found using a simple google search.
Latest Promo Codes for United Air
This section is updated weekly for United Airline Promo Codes for flights on United Air. You can also sign up to the airline website directly and get deals that the airline crafts for you.
How to find United Air flights and redeem Promo Codes?
This section of this article on United Airlines will let you know how to find flights specifically for United Airlines.
- Visit any travel supplier online to start booking tickets. A lot of companies offer this facility like kayak.com, momondo, skyscanner etc. For this section, let us try to book a flight using Bargainairticket.
- BargainAirTicket is a customisable tool that allows you to book flights online while you compare many other potential deals side by side.
- Open Bargainairticket and enter all your travel information such as departure and return dates, number of travelers and your destination.
- A new window with all the deals we have assorted for you will open up. On the left panel of the page, find the airlines section and deselect all airlines except for United Airlines.
- The refreshed page will refine your search into showing only those flights that are affiliated with United Airlines.
- Click on Book Now and before you do, apply any promo code that you have found for your flight for a discount.
- Book flights directly through a secure gateway that you can trust implicitly.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy
United Airlines will entertain not only cancellations, but also changes to your ticket, up to 24 hours of purchase. If you change or cancel your ticket within 24 hours of buying it then you entitled for a full refund. So United Arline cancellation policy is so clear.
There are two kinds of tickets that you may buy when you choose to fly with United Airlines: A refundable ticket and a non refundable ticket. You may change or cancel a refundable ticket for a full refund anytime. However please do realise that a refundable ticket is expensive than a non refundable one.
Cancelling a non refundable ticket allows you the option of forwarding the money for a different ticket, but at the same time will definitely cost from $50 – $150 as part of a change fee.
United Airline Baggage Policy
United Airline Baggage Policy For Domestic Flights:
|Standard Bag Fees||First Bag||Second Bag|
|wt= <50 lbs & max linear inches 62”||$30||$40|
For economy flights to anywhere in Europe, Bag I is free and Bag II costs $100.
To calculate linear inches, measure the length, breadth, and height and add them all.
|Over sized Bag||63 to 115 inches (160 to 292 cm)||$200|
|Overweight Bag||51 to 70 lbs (24 to 32 kg)||$200|
Bags exceeding 115 in or 100 lbs are not accepted as checked baggage by United Airlines.
United Airlines Carry On:
The airline allows you one bag into the cabin whose dimensions must be less than “9*14*22” inches. Along with this, you are also allowed a personal item (max 1) of dimensions no more than (9*10*17) inches.
However, if you are travelling in a basic economy flight, then you are not allowed a larger cabin bag and only one personal item. Bringing a sizable bag into the cabin would lead to $25 handling fee along with the need to have it checked in first.
United Airlines Pet Policy
- If you are travelling within the continental U.S, you are required to produce a health certificate and proof of your pet’s latest rabies vaccine. You shall not be allowed to travel within thirty days of your pet’s rabies vaccination.
- The pet Myst fit inside an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. Only one animal is allowed in a kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of your assigned seat and must stay there throughout the course of the travel.
- The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are: 17.5 inches long, 12 inches wide and 7.5 inches high.
- The maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are: 18 inches long, 11 inches wide and 11 inches high.
- Puppies and kittens must be at least 16 weeks old.
- Pets must travel in the same flight as their owner(s).
- Pets aren’t allowed to travel with unaccompanied minors.
- Your pet must always remain in the floor space under the seat. If you desire to travel with an additional pet, you will need to buy an extra ticket for the same and pay an additional $125 each way.
- In case of an emergency service, the airline won’t provide oxygen service for the pet.
For additional information, you can contact United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-864-8331.
United Airline Pregnancy Policy
- Pregnant women before 36 weeks of pregnancy are allowed to travel without medical documentation.
- Pregnant women after 36 weeks of pregnancy must carry an Obstetrician’s certificate which marks her fit for travel on the desired date( dated within 3 days of travel). The original certificate is to be provided to a United representative at the time of check-in.
United Airline Routes
United serves around 213 airports with a total tally of 2194 routes. The top route for this airline according to Kayak is San Francisco International (SFO) to O’Hare International Chicago (ORD).
Click here to view Southwest Airline Travel Guide.
United Airlines Route Map
United Airlines’ Hubs
As was mentioned briefly in this article, there are 8 airport hubs of United Airlines. Their main hub is Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport
- Los Angeles
- Newark Liberty
- San Francisco
What are United Air’s popular destinations and routes?
Here is a table of some popular flight routes offered by United Airlines:
|Flight||Origin||Destination||Days of Week|
|828||Tamuning||Tokyo||Sun – Fri|
|874||Tokyo||Tamuning||Sun – Fri|
|71||Amsterdam||New York||Sun – Fri|
|21||Amsterdam||Houston||Sun – Fri|
|6205||León||Houston||Sun – Fri|
United Airlines Seat Assignment Policy
- Most seats on United planes have recliners.
- WiFi and power outlets are available and find out if your flight offers this by checking United flight status.
Seating on Emergency Exit rows requires government approval. If you are 15 years or more, up for helping during a potential evacuation, and have no physical or mental limitations, then you can travel in exit row seats.
People with disabilities, people with pets and people with children cannot travel in an emergency seating row.
United Airlines Children Policy
Children Travelling Alone
|5-15||Can only travel on nonstop or direct flights.An unaccompanied minor fee of $150 per way will be charged if you avail this service.||$150|
|16+||United may not be able to offer hotel accommodation to minors in case of requirement as many places have rules regarding admitting minors.||$150|
|Under 5||Cannot travel without Unaccompanied Minor Services||$150|
Travel with Infants
Children who are below two years of age are not required to have their own seat. However, please do inform the airline regarding the lap infant beforehand. Also, there is a limit of only one lap child per adult. If you are traveling with two or more lap infants, then seats must be purchased for them.
While domestic traveling for lap infants is free, United Airlines does charge 10% of adult fare for international flights.
You also cannot be seated in an exit row if you are traveling with any child less than 15 years of age.
United Airlines Reviews
Click here to get Ultimate Guide to Allegiant Airlines flights.