About Virgin America Airline
Virgin America Airline history
Virgin America Airline is an America airline that started operating in 2007 and worked as such till it was integrated into Alaska Airlines. The airline’s focus rested on connecting the cities on the West Coast to other major metropolitan areas. It aimed to provide these services at a loss-cost without compromising with their services. It had its headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area city of Burlingame.
Virgin America Airline’s story of origin dates back to early 2004, when Virgin Group decided to set up a United States-based, low-fare airline by the name of Virgin USA. Later of course, the airline changed its name from Virgin USA to Virgin America.
After other events, Virgin America began selling tickets in the July of 2007. The airline started functioning with flights that ran from New York to Los Angeles and New York to San Francisco. As it so happened, the airline began with incurring loss. In the very first month of their inauguration, they lost $270. However, It later started making profits in 2010. In the May of 2999, Virgin America was recognized as the first U.S. airline to provide Wi-Fi service through Gogo Inflight Internet on every flight.
In March 2010, Virgin America announced its forthcoming flights from Los Angeles to Toronto and San Francisco to Toronto. This was their first international destination.
In the April of 2018, Virgin America banners were taken over by Alaska Airlines and the brand started deriving complete recognition from the brand name of Alaska Airline. This happened both online as well as offline. The aircraft’s interiors were modified to resemble Alaska Airline’s. Virgin America’s social media profiles, such as its Facebook, Twitter and YouTube were merged with those of Alaska Airlines.
Virgin America Airline’s integration into Alaska Airline
In April, 2018, Virgin America came under the ownership of Alaska Airline. This integration was done at both online and offline level. The aircraft’s interiors were modified to resemble Alaska Airline’s. Virgin America’s social media profiles, such as its Facebook, Twitter and YouTube were merged with those of Alaska Airlines.
The rest of the article shall answer your queries about Virgin America Airline by mentioning the data of Alaska Airline because since 2018, it holds true for Virgin America Airline.
Don’t forget to read Alaska Airline Travel Guide.
Virgin America Airline Recognition & Awards
- Sunset Travel Award Winner(2019)
- Best Mid Size Airline in North America by TrioAdvisor(2019)
- Best U.S. Airline by Kayak’s annual user survey(2019)
- Best Airline Rewards Plan by U.S. News and World Report.(2014-19)
- Listed on ‘Most Influential Corporate Directors’ by WomenInc.
- WalledHub Best Airline of 2019
- 2019 Best Airline by Money Magazine
- Fortune 500 company since 2014.
- One of the top 20 fastest Airlines by AirlineRatings.com
Virgin America Airline Air Fleet
Here is a data of the fleet size of Virgin Airline before its merger on January 10,2018.
|Airbus 319-100||Fleet size: 10|
|Airbus 320-200||Fleet size: 53|
|Airbus A321neo||Fleet size: 4|
Airbus 319-100 had a total capacity of 119 while Airbus A321neo had a total capacity of 185. Airbus A319-100 and Airbus 1320-200 were transferred to Alaska Airlines while Airbus A320neo had an order of 30 aircraft transferred to Alaska Airlines.
Virgin America Airline Reservation
In 2018, Virgin America’s routes and services integrated into Alaska Airlines. To book your flights with Alaska airline, check out www.alaskaair.com. In order to book the flight that meets your requirements, check out Bargainairticket which will help you get a fare idea of all the discounts that you can avail and will help you land with a choice of flight that will meet your requirements.
How can I save more on Virgin America Airline Flights?
- Always check Alaska airline flights section before booking your flights
- Subscribe with Alaska Airline in order to learn their latest deals and offers.
- We advise you to book your tickets in advance in order to avoid last minute hike in price.
- Check out Saver Fares, a new feature by Alaska airlines which is designed to give you the benefits of main seating at a lower price.
- Learn about discount codes and companion fare discount codes by checking out their official website.
- We recommend you to subscribe to Bargainairticket, Fair Ticket, in order to learn about the recent developments in offers and discounts.
- Get 20% back on in flight purchases, and 50% off Alaska Lounge day passes by paying with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.
Where do I book Virgin America Airline flight?
- Simply visit the official website of Alaska Airline and book your flight. The window would look like this:
- Before booking your ticket, you can also check out the recent deals which are available at their official website.
- Alternatively, you could check Bargainairticket and get a thorough idea of your flight and the best possible options for you.
- You can also book your ticket by calling 1-800-252-7522 (1-800-ALASKAAIR). The service is available at all hours.
Is there any booking fee with Virgin America Airlines?
There is no booking fee if you opt to book from Alaska Airline’s official website or from www.bargainairticket.com . However, Alaska Airlines charges $15 telephone reservation fee, for every ticket that you book. Here is a chart with all the details:
What amenities does Virgin America Airline provide?
- Spacious Recaro leather seats with 40’’ pitch and generous recline
- Power sockets
- Quilted blankets
- Freshly prepared meals plus premium wine, spirits, and craft beer
- Friendly flight attendants
- Alaska Beyond Entertainment which you can stream on your personal device.
- Inflight Entertainment tablet
- 4 extra inches legroom than Main Cabin
- Recaro leather seats
- Power Socket
- Alaska Beyond Entertainment which you can stream on your personal device.
- Complimentary soft drinks and snacks
Main Cabin (Economy)
- Leather seating with 6-way adjustable headrest
- 31’’-32’’ legroom
- Most seats with power socket
- Wi-Fi with free texting
- Complimentary soft drinks and snacks
Does Virgin America Airlines offer any Military discount?
Alaska Air offers a variety of military discounts:
- You can book military fares which are designed for active duty military and their dependents. These fares are applicable to service members traveling on an offical excused absence, and those discharged from active duty military service in any one of the US military agencies.
- Alaska Airline also offers a 5% discount on flights for members of Veterans Advantage.
- Active duty US personnel and military dependents can check 5 bags for free.
Virgin America Airline for Passengers with Special Needs
- In order to request any special service you can request it either by Alaska’s official website or by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522.
- Alaska Airlines also provides courtesy wheelchair services upon request. Alaska Airlines also offers specially designed aisle chairs to assist customers fown the narrow aircraft with moveable armrests.
- Portable Oxygen Concentrator service may be arranged for Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air flight numbers 001-1999, 2000-2999, and 3300-3499 only. However, in order to travel with a portable oxygen concentrator, you need to produce a completed physician’s consent form.
- Service animals should be small enough to sit in the lap of the person with special needs, failing which, Alaska will reaccomodate the passenger in a non-discriminatory manner based on applicable contract of carriage provisons and fare rules.
How does Virgin America handle passengers in case of flight delays and cancellations by airlines?
Alaska Airline is renowned for its customer satisfaction, however, there will be times when the flights will get cancelled, in such a situation, Alaska Airlines recommends you to provide accurate and detailed information while booking with them so that they can send you any relevant information with respect to delays and cancellations.
You can call Alaska airline’s number in order to solve your query. In case you are facing any problems at the airport, you can simply look up to Flight Information Display Monitor which will give you all the information regarding cancellation and reschedulement.
In case you choose to cancel your flight, you will get a refund and all the service fees that you would have otherwise normally incurred would also be waived.
Is there any discounted rate for travelling with a group?
Alaska Airlines offers discounts for group travel which depend on the number of people that are travelling in a group and if they want to sit together or separately in the same flight. You can book either online or contact group desk by calling 1-800-445-4435 on weekdays 6 AM to 6 P and 7:30 AM to 6 PM on Saturday.
For a group composed of more than 20 individuals who have different departure cities, Alaska Airline offers discount on the time of booking the ticket. They shall be given a code which they can use during the time of booking the ticket.
For groups composed of more than 10 individuals, Alaska Airline offers a discount when you contact their group desk.
Alaska Air offers chartered flights to destinations in the US, Canada and Mexico.
Virgin America Credit Card
- Awail 40,000 bonus miles right after you make $2000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Get Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare from $121 after you make $2000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening. There are no blackout dates, in this case.
- Get Alaska Famous Companion Fare every year. This will make sure that each year on your account anniversary you shall get a companion fare from $121. This offer is valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
- You can also save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for yourself and six others on the very same reservation.
- Traveler can earn unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchase and unlimited 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- You also get a chance to enjoy 50% off day passes at the Alaska Lounge and 20% back on all Alaska Airlines inflight purchases when you pay with your Alaska card.
Virgin America Airline Customer Services
Alaska Airlines Reservations phone number: 1-800-252-7522
Alaska Airlines Group Reservations phone number: 1-800-445-4435
Customer care: 1-800-654-5669
Accessible Services Help: 1-800-503-0101
Mailing address for questions regarding Mileage Plan:
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
P.O. Box 13670
Des Moines, WA 98198-1009
Virgin America Social Media
Alaska Airline blog: https://blog.alaskaair.com/?lid=footer%3Ablog
Virgin America Airlines Check In and Boarding Pass
You can print your boarding pass online by selecting the Check In toolbar which is available at Alaska Airline homepage.
You can check in online and print your boarding pass at Alaska Airlines official website upto 24 hours before departure. We recommend you to reach 2 hours before your flight departure and carry a valid ID card in print.
Virgin America Airlines Flight Status
Simply visit Alaska Airline homepage( www.alaskair.com) and check the flight status under the manage toolbar of the portal. Herein, you can manage all your flight requirements like changing seats etc.
Virgin America Airlines Promo Codes
Promo Codes will help to make sure that you end up saving on flight tickets.
In order to find promo codes for your flights check out online websites such as couponfollow.com, retailmenot.com, dontpayfull.com, www.kouponkabla.com and more such. You can easily find them by a simple google search. We also recommend you to subscribe to Alaska Airlines promo codes and special deals.
Virgin America Cancellation Policy
Within 24 hours of your original purchase, you can either cancel your ticket or you can change your itenary, without incurring any special charges. In case you make the changes after 24 hours of your original purchase, you shall have to pay a cancellation fee of $125.
In order to do this, simply visit the Alaska Airlines home page and tap on Manage Reservations tab.
Virgin America Airline Baggage
Alaska Airline has a very clear policy with respect to baggage. This is how they operate:
- Carry-on luggage:
A passenger is allowed 1 carry-on bag plus one personal item which could either be a laptop, briefcase or purse.
- Checked baggage:
You shall be charged $30 for the first bag that you check in which will be followed by $40 for the second bag.
- Get your baggage:
You shall get your baggage within 20 minutes of arrival or you shall get a $25 discount code.
Virgin America Pet Policy
In order to travel with you pet, you are advised to prior specify to the airline and make sure that all the necessary arrangements are taken care of, before you take the flight.
In case you intend to use multiple airlines on your trip, Alaska Air will not transfer the pet to another carrier. You shall have to recheck the pet into the other airline on your own.
However, here are some guidelines that you must follow:
- Pets may not be allowed in the First Class cabin in an Airbus Flight model due to certain safety regulations. You should make sure you check the type of your plane before booking your ticket.
- The pet fee is $100 each way.
Virgin America Airlines Pregnancy Policy
There are no restrictions with respect to flying while pregnancy however, the airline suggests that you first consult a physician.
Virgin America Routes
Alaska Airline is a major airline that provides flights to a number of domestic locations. There are over a hundred destinations that are served by Alaska Airlines.
Virgin America Airline Route Map
Virgin America Airline’s Hub
Seattle Tacoma International Airport is the largest hub of Alaska Airlines. The other hubs are Anchorage, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, San Jose, San Diego.
Virgin America’s popular destinations and routes
Here are some of the most popular destinations for Alaska Airlines:
- Juneau, Alaska
- Portland, Oregon
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Phoenix, Arizona
- San Francisco, California
- Los Angeles, California
- Orange County, California
- San Diego, California
Virgin America’s Seat Assignment Policy
At Alaska Airlines, you can choose a seat for yourself by using Alaska Airlines interactive seat maps.
Emergency Exit Row seating plan by Virgin America
The passengers who have Elite Level Mileage plan have the option of reserving the emergency exit row prior to their flying. For other passengers, exit row seating is only made available on the day of the departure of the flight.
You shall be disqualified from sitting in the emergency row in case you fail any of the specifications below:
- You lack strength to be able to handle doors and other parts of the aircraft.
- Lack the ability to orally transmit information or cannot understand written instructions.
- You are hearing or vision impaired.
- You are dependent on assistance for your mobility.
- If you are below 15 age of years or if you are an adult who has children accompanying them.
- If you are travelling with a pet.
Learn more about Ultimate Guide To Southwest Airlines.
Virgin America Children Policy
In order to see how children friendly is Alaska Airline, check out the following table:
- Traveling with Children:
In order to make your kids comfortable during their journey, we advice you to carry along snacks, small toys, coloring books and crayons or small electronic devices.
- TSA Security screening:
Everyone is scanned at the security checkpoint, be it children or infants. In order to make this a smooth experience, we recommend you to check the TSA website airline so you can easily sail through the security.
- Fly for All app
You can also download our Fly for All app which is available on both App Store and Google Play. It is designed to assist travelers who are flying for the first time, unaccompanied minors and those with cognitive and developmental disabilities. The app will guide the user and will chart out certain steps for them which they can follow and get ready for their flight.
Children travelling alone
Alaska Airlines welcomes child passengers and even presents escorts to help guide them to their final destination. Alaska airline provides unaccompanied minor services for children who fall between the age group of 5 to 17. This offer is available on both the domestic and international flights.
Virgin America Reviews
Alaska Airlines enjoys a fair review from customers, it has an overall rating of 4 out of 5 on tripadvisor. It scored 4 on almost all benchmarks like Seat Comfort, On Board Experience etc. Here are some screenshots of the passenger reviews as per airlinequality.com.